Meals to prepare, guests to entertain and gifts to wrap. It’s all part of the fun of celebrating the holidays, but if you’re like many, it’s also the perfect excuse to skip your regular workout routine. However, sooner or later you might start to feel a little guilty about delaying that fitness schedule. Here are 5 great ways to break away from the holiday tasks, and sneak in a holiday workout at the Y’s fitness center:
1. Get an Earlier Start
Skip the snooze button during the holidays, and try getting up a half hour earlier to sneak out to our fitness center before everyone else is up. A quick group exercise class is the perfect way to set your metabolism for the day and give yourself more energy throughout the day. Plus, you’ll feel better both physically and mentally as you celebrate with family and friends.
2. Condense Your Typical Workout
If you can’t fit your normal workout into your busy schedule, commit to doing 30 minutes of at least three lower and three upper body exercises. Accelerate your warmup by jogging in place, and then, move on to those squats, lunges, modified push-ups, stretches, and abdominal crunches.
3. Take Advantage On-the-Road Workouts
Are you traveling during the holidays? Make use of the hotel’s gym. If you’re staying with friends or family, check out where the local Y is in their area. Did you know there are more than 2,700 YMCA locations in 10,000 communities across the nation? You can purchase a nationwide membership and use participating fitness centers no matter where you are!
4. Make It a Family Affair
All our Y locations offer fun family programs like group exercise classes, swimming, basketball, ping pong, and more. So, get the family involved and workout together for a happier, healthier holiday season.
5. Incorporate Fitness Center Alternatives
There are going to be those times when you simply can’t make it to the gym. Instead of foregoing your workout completely, get creative and find ways to keep your body moving any way you can:
- Take a quick 20-minute walk around the block, use the stairs at the office, be the one who walks the dog, or take some extra laps at the mall.
- Do some yardwork or housework.
- Make the kitchen your personal fitness center. Did you know whisking batter burns nearly 140 calories per hour? While you’re waiting for the holiday goodies to bake, use a chair to do some slow-motion squats. Or, use a couple cans of pie filling to do a few quick curls.